Friday, March 7, 2014

Chronic Pain for Idiots (the yellow book kind)

http://m.wikihow.com/Understand-Someone-With-Chronic-Pain

I just read an article called How to Understand Someone with Chronic Pain. It made me chuckle like most things do in life when it comes to living with pain but this chuckle was different. I'm not sure if it was a understanding chuckle or some sort of other chuckle. The explanation of understanding chronic pain on a piece of paper seems so much different then when you are actually living with, or maybe I should say in it, chronic pain. The link is above if you want to look at the actual hilarity of it all. I mean that in the nicest way.

It's the basic. You know they make it look like the person in the pictures is dying and not really enjoying life at all.  I must disagree with that part of it not everyone living with chronic pain looks like they are living with chronic pain. I know when I go out no one can tell anything. We are the great pretenders because who wants to hear about our pain? The actual written parts of the article were pretty much spot on and every word I read was so relatable. In fact the whole time I read it, as I chucked, I thought to myself yup, yup, yup, uhuh. It just makes me wonder if a young person or anyone who doesn't suffer in pain 24/7 would really be able to understand any of the article as they read it. You can read all you want but as I always say until it happens to you, you have no idea. When I read the article I thought to myself hummm we need a yellow book called Chronic Pain for Idiot's. I could write it and I would be happy to sit hours with others who suffer and get their view on living with chronic people. The real people, the people who live it, not the people who study it and think because they know all the book work on chronic pain that they can write what we need to do or not do to make it better. The real people, suffers, who day in and day out cry, laugh, try not to complain, the ones that do complain, the ones who are bed bound, and the ones who are not. My list could go on and on but you get the picture. I'm pretty sure a study of the "real" chronically people in pain would take a very long time to write. Between deciphering all the different types of pain people live with, not to mention the emotional and physical toll it takes on each person seperately. It would take so long to interview and write all the stories because there is no way you could write about one person in chronic pain and lump everyone into the same big pile of facts from that one person. You can take two people with neck pain but they both experience it differently. Actually you could take 1000 people with neck pain and I can bet that same neck pain would affect each of them differently. This is where all the people who say or write things on chronic pain and do not live with it have no business doing so. Have they gone out and actually talked to people who live in their own pain? Pretty sure they haven't. I take offense every time I read or hear someone say something that is a cure or tells us we will feel so much better if we only..... My question is how do you know for a fact that is going to work for me? For my pain? Right now I am focusing more on the pain but I'm pretty sure I could write a whole other yellow book on the emotional toll chronic pain inflicts on a person. This may even be a much harder and deeper subject to talk to each individual about because we all experience that side much different also and for some this side is worse than the pain itself. Some of us are fortunate to have a close few who do get it, our pain to some degree so our emotional well being is at a level where we are happy and can function and not have to deal with the same things that others who have no support deal with. It has to horrible to deal with both and have no support. Then there are jobs and taking care of a home. Young mothers who must take care of children while hurting but hey the kids still get hungry, they still have to be changed or run from here to there. I could go on and on and on. It really could never end when you begin to piece ALL of the many pieces of chronic pain together. I understand because I live it so when someone tells me they are in pain I can go there in a heartbeat. I don't have to wonder how it is because I already know what it is doing to that person. no, I don't understand their pain, their own pain, but I understand the big picture. I just wish more people could understand more than what they believe is on the surface of living in chronic pain, that's all.

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment