Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Back At It...Again







Funny Pictures Of The Day - 59 PicsExercise UGHHH! I must admit I don't enjoy exercise unless it is disguised as fun. I cannot count the times I have made the commitment to myself to get back into it only to get started and fall off the wagon. I must admit I enjoy the benefits when I do get off my butt and do it. It isn't like I don't exercise at all I walk a lot when the weather is cooperative and I take it as a message from nature to get off my lazy butt and get out there when its nice outside. The truth is I'm lazy when it comes to exercise. How can I deny that when it is a fact? I would rather clean a cupboard or mop the floors than exercise. Yesterday I decided I needed to stop making excuses as to why I didn't want to exercise. Winter has hit here in Michigan so my ability to get outside and walk has diminished drastically. I was hoping this warm winter was going to last until spring but now that it is bitter cold and snowy this week there is not much going outside for me. I try not to go out much when it is like this because I can't take the cold very well. I ache when I am out there and it feels like my joints are being cut open with shards of glass when it is bitter cold. I also fall when I am out in this weather. It never fails I am the one who hits the little patch of ice that bring me down on my butt. I always joke that is the reason I have to keep eating because I need the butt padding to help me from breaking a hip. Exercise has been hard for me the past few years because of my shortness of breath so it was much easier for me to take it a little slower in the woods than fast on a the treadmill.
I decided yesterday was the day I was going to get back at it...again, so I did. I walked on the treadmill for ten minutes and rode my bike for five minutes. I must admit I felt better afterwards. This morning I got up and decided I was going to do it again and I did. What's different this time? I decided I would make some changes this time compared to the past exercise plans that failed. This time I'm starting out slow. This time I'm not telling myself I only did ten minutes but that I did ten minutes and that is good for me. I'm not focusing on how fast I go, or how far I go, or how many calories I burn, this time the focus will be on the fact that I am doing something. If you have watched television or listened to the radio lately you know we are being bombarded with diet and exercise plans telling us we are fat and that nothing we do it enough. I am NOT listening to that crap anymore. I am doing what is right for me and what is right for my body. I have to because if I don't I will pay dearly. I am focusing on what feels good and if I do too much one day I know I will have to pull back the next day. If my body hurts more than usual maybe I will need to take a day off. I think and believe those of us who suffer with chronic illness and pain need to get to this point where we are okay with what we can do and not with what we can't do. I believe we all need to learn that everything we hear or read about exercise and diet is ninety-five percent based on profit. I believe none of those people care about me and what price I pay if I follow their plan. I know their plans will only make me worse while they get rich. I have finally gotten to a place of I don't care what other people think or say I must do what is right for me, it is critical that I do. This sure doesn't mean I am still not hard on myself because I am. That is one of the things I do best. I believe when you are a perfectionist that is all you know how to do but working on it and changing your mind set and not caring about all those outside messages helps you to not be so rough on yourself. If that makes any sense. I'm sure the other perfectionists reading this can relate. This morning I got out of bed, woke up, got moving, and heading downstairs to the treadmill and bike. I am happy to say I added three minutes on to the treadmill from yesterday all the while wondering if it was a good idea that I did and if I was pushing it too much. Time will tell. The most important thing is I am doing it. I'm sure there will be those days it isn't going to happen and I am going to be okay with that too. It's all a balance like everything in life. Hopefully you all are able to get to that place that is right for you when it comes to taking care of yourself and learning what works and what doesn't work for your body. I wish you the best and remember, you are not alone!

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment