Tuesday, July 24, 2012

One Of These Days These Boots Are Gonna Walk All Over You

Remember that song? One of these days these boots are going to walk all over you. Stupid song but it makes me laugh today as my foot issue continues on and on. I have been babying this foot for six months and it is wearing me down. I have been doing it all rest, ice, compression (sort of, it just makes it swell more), and elevation. My life has been centered around foot pain. Every time I go away it is a battle to pick the right shoes that I think will not cause it to swell and ache. I bought a really good pair of tennis shoes and had custom made orthotics made, which were suppose to be "the answer." If you know me at all, what is the answer for the rest of the world, when it comes to medical issues, is never the right for me, ever. I began slowly with the orthotics and as I did my foot became worse. The original spot is better but it seems the pain decided to shift around to the other side of the foot. Enough details as I am sure you can get the point.

This past weekend I went out with my girls to celebrate Steph's last days being single. I had to wear a dress and there was no way I was going to wear my tennis shoes with a black dress. I mean really, I know I have no class, but I have enough to know that those shoes were not going to work. Plus, my girls would have gave the look and said, "Ahhhhhh NO!" if I would have even tried to wear tennis shoes. I brought my flats and wore those with gel inserts. The worst shoe for any foot problems are flats, but I was not going to even attempt any heels because I didn't need to twist and break my ankle on top of the other foot issues. After a long night at the bar, dancing a little bit, and walking more than usual, my foot decided to swell even more and the pain became much worse.

I finally, after weeks of going back and forth on the issues, called the doctor yesterday. This was my new doctor so I was putting it off as long as possible. I didn't want to scare her off the first time I saw her with any of my stupid issues. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. She listened, checked out the foot, took x-rays, and finally decided to put me in a boot. Yes, I finally have the big black ugly boot. I was thinking I could always get my girls or friends together and we could decorate it with jewels or lace to make it look a little more attractive. Nah, whatever, it is what it is. I am just happy it wasn't an infection or a broken bone. I have to wear the sexy boot for two weeks in hope that all the tissues around the foot settle down and go back to how ever they are suppose to be. I don't understand all that medical garble so I will just wear the boot and hope for the best. The best part was when I woke up to Rich's love note. he called me Boot's and said told me I still look sexy even in my boot. Sweet!

Once again this shows you how chronic illness is chronic. Most people would have recovered from this in a matter of a few weeks, sometimes longer, but not for me. It has to turn into many months. Months which become exhausting as you have enough to deal with and really do not need nor want another issue. Months of going to bed each night hoping and praying that tomorrow is the day you wake up and it all goes away. It took me at least two months to call back for this appointment using the frame of mind, "It will go away tomorrow." It didn't so I called and here I am, more waiting, but this time the waiting has a little more hope attached to it. Hope that stabilizing the foot will help it to feel better. If you are reading this and struggling, the best thing I can tell you is to hang in there. Hang on tight. The road isn't always easy, but if you keep your hope and a positive mindset then hopefully that hope will turn into reality and soon things will resolve themselves. Well, at least until the next issue attacks you.

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment