Friday, January 25, 2013

Bone Cold-Literally

The winter here in Michigan has been very mild and enjoyable this year. We haven't had much snow and the temperatures have made it very nice to go out in a light jacket certain days and a winter coat on others. I like these winters because the driving is easy when you don't get much snow so a quick run to the store is fairly easy except for all the crappy drivers out there. This week it all changed. Our weather pattern changed quite quickly going from mild to brutally cold with lots of beautiful snow. Yesterday morning Rich said it was five degrees when we got up and an hour later he said it was down to one degree. He told me something I never knew, that the temp always drops just before the sun comes up. Who knew? I guess working in the nursery business all these years and weather being such a huge part of his job he knows it all.

I had to watch the kids yesterday and it sure was bitterly cold out. I had to take Addi with me to go pick up Hunter from school. I knew it would be like running a marathon for me but what are you going to do when your daughter has a meeting she can't miss. Plus the fact that I love spending a few hours with the kids alone. I got Addi all ready to go get Hunter from school then I got myself ready and we headed outside. Luckily the car was still warm so we were golden there. We got to school walked in, picked up Hunter, who by the way told me he had a wet fart so we had to go home, we went outside to leave. Hunter decided to climb the snow pile in the parking lot so Addi and I stood there to watch. I knew it was cold but never realized how cold and I forgot what the cold does to me. We piled in the car after Hunter slid down the hill and headed back to their house where we found out Hunter's wet fart wasn't really a wet fart after all. Haha we had a great laugh over that one. Of course Papa loved that one and had to call him last night to laugh about it. I could hear Hunter laughing so loud when Rich asked him about it. I love kids! So honest no matter the subject.

I played with the kids after they ate lunch and by that time I was wore out. It is hard work taking care of those little ones, you forget when your kids are grown and gone. I felt stiff and very tired. We played some games and Katie came home. I left and came home to my quiet house. I felt off but didn't know why. I am slow when it comes to figuring things out with my illness. I nver put it all together for some reason probably because it has been my life for so long and it is just the way it is, one thing after another, you never know from day to day. Rich came home from work, we ate, and I went to take a bath. By this time my neck was stiff I was exhausted and cold. I was so cold I couldn't get warm. The kind of cold that, for me, feels like my bones are ice. After my hot, very hot bath, I sat on the couch and as I sat there I thought to myself I am still bone cold. It had been a half hour and I thought to myself of past winters. The bone cold thoughts came back with a vengeance. Since this winter has been so mild I forgot about this icy bone cold symptom I experience in the winter. So you guessed it I got up and a half hour later I was soaking in a hot bath again. I know it sounds crazy but it is the truth. It is the worst cold you can experience. After each bath I was hot, my skin was red, but my bones were ice cold. This morning I woke up with the other part that follows the bone cold. Pain. My neck is very stiff since that is where I experience the worst bone chill. I wonder if it is from the six inches of metal that are implanted in my cervical spine but if I recall I had this before the surgery, for years as a matter of fact. I have a headache which I am blaming on either the cold and the neck pain or I am wondering if it is sinus problems. This is what you do with every symptom when you are ill everyday. Is it from this or that or what?

The conclusion? It never ends. Just when I am doing pretty good it seems it all can change so fast. Oh well we all have it. The good days we enjoy and when the harder days hit we get through them knowing they will pass. I know this will. I feel a little warmer today. The cold bone feeling is still there but it isn't as intense as last night. I just soaked in the hot bath once again hoping it penetrates deep to the bone. It won't but I keep telling myself it will and then like magic the cold will disappear and it will all be good again. I wait patiently. Well, at least until I am exposed to more cold anyways. I suppose I could wrap a scarf around my neck too but truthfully that doesn't help either. Maybe a thermacare will be on the list for today. I don't know. I hate to have to use those things during the day it is like the illness wins when I give into wearing one of those for pain. I hate to give in and let the pain win. Stubborn? Yes! I am mad as hell at this illness thing and I fight it every minute of everyday. I yell at it. I try to ignore it even when the pain is really intense but it is hard on days like this. It will not win! It will not win! Now I go. Go to put on a few more layers of shirts to hopefully warm the bones to some sort of a livable stage.

God Bless!

Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment