Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Answer

Yesterday the Arthritis Today Magazine site asked this question:   
Happy Friday to our arthritis community! Share a story about how arthritis has impacted your life. 

I didn't have to think about it for too long to answer. My answer:
Arthritis has helped me realize all that is good and to ignore the negative that can weigh me down and for that I am thankful for my arthritis!

After I wrote my answer I read some of the ones that were entered before mine. Many of them talked about the negative that arthritis has caused in their lives. The more I read the sadder I became. It breaks my heart that people can only think of the negative things that illness has brought into their lives instead of the positive. That being said I just read the responses that were written after I wrote mine and they seemed much more positive than the ones before I wrote mine. I find this interesting. I believe in this world we are all followers in some odd way. We seem to go with the crowd or go with the flow. If someone tells us one thing and we think another way we tend to agree so we don't have to stand up for what we believe in. I don't believe this is right. We all should be honest in what we live or what we believe in no matter what it is, arthritis, a political stance, or whatever it may be. I just found it odd that all of the sudden the responses were a little more positive but odd in a good way. It seems we need people to remind us of the good we have instead of always looking at the bad. It seems the world has such a negative attitude on everything these days. Ob believe me I have those days too. The ones where I hate everything and wonder what the heck this is all about. But when I do I can usually find some good that is mixed in with that negativity, at least I try we are all a work in progress.

To be honest if I had to write a paragraph about how arthritis has impacted my life I could go on and on. It has made my marriage even stronger than it has ever been. To know someone would go to the ends of the earth for me is heartwarming. It has made me realize the relationships with people in my life are either based on what I could do for them or not. It is all good. It has brought out my creative self. Yes, it has always been there but now I have more time to do the things I love to do. It has made me not really care if I have a little dust or if the all the laundry isn't done the day it hits the basket. It has made me lighten up, a little bit, on the idea that I have to have a four course meal for Rich when he gets home from work. He could care less if we have a burger for dinner vs a chicken dinner. It has made me appreciate the little things like a kiss from my grandbabies or holding a door open for someone or helping someone in need when I am out in public. Only because I know what it is like to be one of those people who may need the help at certain times. It has helped me to not judge people. I don't think I really ever did this but there probably were times I did, especially now that I am the one with a handicap sticker and people are probably looking at me with that look that says she doesn't look handicapped to me. I don't think of myself as handicapped but there are those days if I do too much I sure do pay the price. The price has made me appreciate and live every moment the best I know how. I have had a great life and am blessed beyond measure. So when they asked how has arthritis impacted your life of course all I could think of was the good and how blessed I truly am.

I hope whether you have arthritis or not that you can find the good in your life. The positive things that are the things that keep you going and keep you living. Life is short and all the little things that you do to feed your soul are the things you will leave behind to the ones you love. Every time I write a blog, paint a picture, write, or decorate my home I think of it all as the part of me I am leaving to the ones I love. When I am gone they will have much to remember me by. What more could I do but enjoy every little moment given to me? I hope you are able to do the same!

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment