Sunday, April 22, 2012

Be Careful What You Say

Well, here we go again. I was doing quite well for the past few weeks and sure am thankful. I was able to accomplish so much and it felt good, almost a "I feel like a normal/healthy person" kind of good. Then yesterday I felt different. I was tired, sluggish, and a little weak. The loudness of noises around me seemed to be magnified and my eyes were a little more blurry than usual. I felt sick but not sure how to explain that kind of sick. It wasn't the flu and I was not experiencing any symptoms at all. I kept telling myself it is nothing and it will pass, as many times it does.

To pass my day I got out my drawing book and for some reason I began to draw a face, not my face but by the end it turned into me. The drawing looks nothing like me, but the story ended up turning into one of my many stories. This past Monday I went with Steph and a dear friend to a seminar on migraines. I wanted both of them to hear the information because neither of them seem to get any relief from their headaches and suffer in silence as mnay people with migraines do. I was thinking about that seminar as I was drawing and decided I would turn the face into my face when I have a migraine. The speaker at the seminar had some really cool art that people made that showed their story of living with migraine. You see, each story is different with migraine. What one person suffers with, another does not. When it comes to medication what works for one doesn't work for another. Migrianes are somewhat of a mystery to the midical world and there is very little funding for researech, which is crazy considering all the people who suffer from them.

On Friday as I was sitting home I also had some other symptoms it was like the flashes of light were going through my head even as I closed my eyes. I got somewhat alarmed that it may be the beginnings of a migraine, but blocked the thought out of my head right away.
I was just bragging how I haven't have a true migraine since I started back up on steroids. Yes, I have had bad headaches/migraines but not the kind that kept me in bed. I was happy when the light flashing didn't turn into a migraine that night but then yesterday I thought again, am I in the beginning stages of a migraine? The answer was/is yes, Wham! Last night around 3 in the morning I started the suffering. I kept telling myself, just sleep. I would fall back asleep for a few minutes and wake up in pain. If you know me at all I am a fighter. I am so stubborn and I hate to take meds for the migraine. the side affects are horrible and can set you back for a few days. Finally at 10am I took the migraine excedrin, laid in bed telling myself to just get up and drink a strong cup of coffee. I did just that and now I am feeling better. My vision is still very blurry and my head is still pounding but not bad enough to send me back to bed. I am thankful when this combination can take the headache away for me!

In all of this I have learned a couple of lessons:
1. Never say you haven't had a migraine in a long time.
2. Never draw a picture of something you suffer from unless you want it to bite you in the ass. Hummm, maybe I will draw something good today and see if it comes true. Like a person dancing in the wind with no medical issues hanging over their head.
3. When I feel a migraine coming on TAKE YOUR MEDS RIGHT AWAY. I say this every time but for some reason I always think I can fight it, and win, but I never do.
4. Listen to your body when it tells you something a few days before it is smarter than you think you are.
5. Enjoy everyday to its fullest and when all else fails, come to your blog and write a story.

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment