Sunday, February 16, 2014

Am I the Winner or the Loser?

Congratulations you are the proud owner of Osteopenia, high blood pressure, and trigger finger. It is always so much fun to add to my list of ailments. I'm only 51 for gosh sakes- really? I look around at friends of mine and when I do I know they have issues too, after all everyone suffers from something, but for me when I look around at others my observations are much different than most others who look around in their world. Well, unless they are suffering from one pain in the butt to another. I compare myself to  others my age or older and I am not at all like them. Physically speaking. I can't do the things other people my age can and it can be painful watching others live the life I should be living but can't.
I had a physical last November with a new doctor who is very, very on top of things. She has taken such good care of me so far that I am wondering about all those wasted years of seeing doctors who would look at me and ask, "What do you think it is?" Or "What do you want to do?" Really? I'm my own doctor? On the other hand I have had a couple of wonderful doctors too so it is unfair to stick them all into the same huddle but as I recall there are only two other really good ones. The good news it that I am officially off all arthritis meds and therefore no longer need to see on of my faves Dr. Key. I have also decided to stop seeing the other great doc, my Neuro Dr. Glisson. I feel since I am trying to manage illness on my own I don't really need to waste their time or mine and that means there will be extra appointments open for those who need to get in. Of course I know I can call either of them anytime and have been told that on several occasions. I hope I won't need to!

The new plan. What is that? I'm really not sure yet and just in the beginning stages of researching what I am planning to do. I have begun to take Viactive chews for my calcium/bone loss in hopes that I do not lose anymore bone mass. Weight bearing exercise which is hard for me but I am trying to keep upright and will begin to walk more when it warms up outside. I am unable to walk now because of the icy roads and my tendency to fall almost every time I step outside. I am laughing wondering if Steph and Vinnie's neighbors are chuckling at the show every time I go away. Ha I laugh too. What else are you gonna do cry? Nah it isn't worth it. High BP, started a med and hoping when I start to walk it will go down and I can get off that too. Bad part for me is it runs in the fam and my mom has Afib so doc is worried about that. Understandable. Trigger finger? Ouch! Might need to go get a steroid shot to relieve the pain and in hopes it doesn't get worse. I'm still dealing with foot issues and the tennis elbow but those have almost become a way of life. Other joint pains that plague me but its all okay.  I still cannot believe how you adjust to pain. I already use my mind and breathing at times to control pain because I hate taking pain meds and avoid them at all cost. I stopped drinking coffee which for me was bad. I used more cream and sugar then coffee and I am shocked that I have lost ten pounds just by that one little change. I have switched to tea with honey. I have got back to taking my multi vitamin and I also added B complex to that. I am checking on other supplements as well like tumerac but I have not done enough research to just start them on a whim. The way I look at it is that if I make small changes now one at a time they will all add up to one large change eventually. Hopefully.

I must confess even with as much relief that I got from the meds by being on them I am now feeling much better benefits by being off them. The biggest thing is that my head is clearer. I can think better and I don't feel like my head is in the clouds. I am still fatigued but at least not as bad as I was, I think? My hope is to get this unbearable fatigue to go away. Pain, I can take, fatigue not so much. Side effects from the meds were awful and now that I am off them I keep asking myself why do I want to take something that helps the pain but makes me sick? You can believe it or not but since I went off the meds last August I have not had one migraine headache. Lord please do not let this bite me in the butt tomorrow! Why do I want to put poison in my body that does that to me? ME! Yes ME! I am not writing this for anyone else to feel bad about taking drugs we all need to do what we need to do. I feel fortunate I am where I am. When I first decided to go off the drugs I wondered how much worse my life was going to be but never really thought about how much better it could be. Why do we do that to ourselves? Right now, today, I am good. I feel like I can win this battle and I hope and pray I can. If not who knows what the future brings we all have to live one day at a time anyways so for now I live in this moment. Point is I am trying. I am finally taking charge instead of allowing other people to be in charge for me. It feels so good! I have a long road ahead of me but I know I can do it one step at a time! I will be the winner at this game!

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment