Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Coraggio? Me?

Most of you know from my past blog entries I am a huge fan of Lisa K. Gigliotti, J.D. Lisa wrote the book, Coraggio! Lessons for Living From an Italian Grandmother Despite Illness, Pain & Loss. Lisa has a website to connect you with how you can order her inspirational books, www.withcourageican and you can like her site on facebook, Coraggio - Lessons for Living from an Italian Grandmother.
I hope that your are able to read all of her books one day, but if not, at least the first one. It will bring you to tears, bring you joy, make you think about life and mostly about how fortunate you are. It will also make you realize there really is someone who has it worse than you do but, and this is a BIG BUT, you can take what you are given and always do better no matter what the circumstances are. I do not want to give you too many details because I really want to encourage you to take the journey with Lisa as she has a story that almost seems to unreal for one person to endure.

I have been blessed to hear Lisa speak about the Coraggio her Grandmother and others taught her on her journey called life. Lisa journey is a long one. You see, Lisa has not only one autoimmune disease but two. On the occasions that I have had the honor to listen to Lisa's story in person it has brought me to tears. Just watching her and seeing how her hands are gnarled by the arthritis that has eaten away at her joints gives me courage. It gives my heart a sense of selfish thankfulness that I can still use my hands. I drop a lot of things, I have pain and stiffness, but to see Lisa I realize am blessed. You really want to know what the best part of listening and watching Lisa speak is, for me at least? Her smile. I cannot tell you about her smile, there is always one her face, every time I see her. Her compassion for people, all people makes her even more special. She is one of those people who has the energy that eludes from her body. You know that when she asks you how you are doing she really wants to know, how you are doing? She listens with her eyes. I have never met a person with such a caring heart nor have I became attached to someone as I have with Lisa. There is not a day that goes by I do not think of her. On my bad days I ask myself, "What would Lisa think of you today?" I tell myself, "If Lisa can do this you can!" I tell myself, a lot, to "knock it off." I would never say I feel sorry for myself but I feel bad for my circumstances, then I think of Lisa who still works full time as a Judge in East Lansing. Yes, you read that right, a Judge, and I sit here and think I am unable to get a job. Seriously? All I know is because of Lisa and her courage I tell myself that one day I will get a job. I do not know what it will be but someday it will happen.

A few weeks ago I received a message on my answering machine when I was gone. It was from Suzi the Director of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation Great Lakes Chapter. She called to inform me that I am receiving the Coraggio award this year from the chapter. This award was started last year through the chapter by Lisa for those who have courage as they face the daily obstacles of living with chronic illness. Last year Lisa was the first recipient of the award as she is the true warrior of living with Coraggio, this year it is I. I am honored beyond any words I could write, or anything thoughts that may wonder through my mind. There is no way I come close to deserving such an award. I watch other people who struggle much more than I but for some reason Lisa and the chapter feel I am worthy. If I have even half the Coraggio that Lisa has I have won the fight. The funny part is that I have been struggling so much lately with not watching the grand babies anymore and trying to find my new place in the world this may have come at just the right time for me. I needed some encouragement at this time and receiving this award helps me to realize I can and will find something. I will remember Lisa always. Her courage will give me courage and strength to face each day as it come. It always amazes me how God knows what you need just when you need it. On behalf of Lisa I will accept the Coraggio award and I will make her proud as I push on as she has.

I can only imagine how proud Lisa's mother and grandmother are of her as they look down on her from heaven. I am sure the angels are singing right next to them as they can rest in peace knowing they have left behind a real angel here on earth. A person who has a heart. A person who really loves people for who they are and encourages them along the way. A person I am fortunate to have crossed paths with, award or no award. Thank you Lisa you give us all Coraggio!

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment