Sunday, November 13, 2011

Positives vs Negatives

Over the past few years it seems the negative in this world outweighs the positive. It seems every time I do venture out in the world, which isn't often, I hear people complaining and so much sadness. I wonder when this shift began? It doesn't seem like it was after 9/11 because I remember seeing a nation come together out of love for the thousands of lives lost and lives affected by that terrible tragedy. It just seems to me as time went on people became more selfish and bitter and started regressing into themselves more. I would imagine all the technology doesn't help either. Nowadays we are not forced to talk to one another because of all the conveniences we have available to just send a text or write an e-mail, I am guilty too, I have grown to dislike the phone and avoid it at all costs. So I always think, day to day as we pull away from each other, how can I try to stay positive when there is so much negative? It is all in the way I think about what ever situation I am in at any given time.

Some examples of my positive thinking are :

-Today I woke up with a searing headache in the spot where my migraines usually start. It would have been so easy for me to think oh great a migraine I am going to stay in bed and have to deal with this all day. My way of thinking is get your fat you know whatus out of bed go take some meds, drink some coffee and do something to take your mind off the start of the pain. Hence, the reason I am here. Writing is like therapy for me in case you haven't noticed from my past posts.

-I often sit at home thinking of others being able to work, who complain about having a job, which can make me very angry and negative. My positive way of thinking is, I have lots of leisure time to do all the things others wish they could do. I am very fortunate. Plus, I get to spend quality time with my grandchildren, something many only dream of.

-I often get very angry and negative with my doctors or other doctors when they don't have answers for me or the people I love. The positive way for me to think of this is two fold. I have become friends with a few of my doctors whom I am grateful for. I have learned that not all doctors are evil or mean and I am blessed to have a few good ones who respect me and know that I am a smart, informed patient. I have learned and try to remember doctors are people too and not know it all's. The second thing I have learned and feel blessed about is to be able to help others when they are struggling through illness or with dealing with doctors, which brings me great joy.

-There are the days I don't care to go on, the days I am so tired and negative. I still live my life and believe, in a positive manner, there is a reason why I am here. Then it seems the same day I am down I will have someone write me a message, or stop over and ahahhh the reason I got out of bed today makes perfect sense because I have helped someone else or someone has done something nice for me.

-One of the hardest things for me is that I have lost the ability to have a social life. It is just plain hard to go out and socialize when your body is constantly processing pain, or my eyes are not working properly, or I am weak, etc. So I have learned to make the best of what I am able to do. Maybe now Rich and I are just able to go out to dinner but at least I am able to do that. Or we sit and watch certain tv shows and discuss it in between commercials. Life has become simple for me, for us, but good. You see chronic illness has brought us even closer together instead of tearing us farther apart. Huge positive!

I could go on forever but I think you get the picture. In ending this, the last thing I will write is the most positive thing of all. Knowing the close relationships I have with the people I love and the people who love me. What more could anyone ever want? For me that is enough and I am  truly blessed! Now, go out there and make the world, your world, a better place. You never know what is going to happen tomorrow so enjoy and make today positive. Even if it is starting with a headache!

God Bless!

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment